Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year! We are excited to have added many additional teachers to our staff and we welcome all of you! Our website hosts a vast amount of information that we hope will be helpful for you. Please contact us if you have any questions or comments. Thank you for visiting us online!
Mission - The mission of the District 518 English Learner Department is to assist non-English or limited English speaking students in developing English language skills at a level which will enable them to perform successfully in mainstream classes, graduate from high school, pursue further education, and function successfully in American culture.
Vision - The vision of the District 518 English Learner Department is to create an interdisciplinary program that helps students acquire essential skills for learning a new language and adjusting to a new culture.
- Plan and deliver instruction on language proficiency and content standards developed from researched-based best practices.
- Collaborate with and support general education teachers to ensure that the EL is acquiring the necessary academic language to meet grade level content standards.
- Incorporate technology into instructional planning and delivery.
- Assess student progress regularly and adjust instruction.
- Inform student, teachers, and parents about student progress. Formally report student progress.
More information about the programs and services offered through the EL Department can be obtained by contacting the EL Department at (507) 727-1226 or through emailing our English Language Coordinator, Dr. Mara Borges-Gatewood at firstname.lastname@example.org or Allison Heidebrink, Administrative Assistant at email@example.com