ISD 518 Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE)

A child’s early years often bring wonder and excitement for families!  Children grow and change rapidly from birth to kindergarten entrance, and are learning every day.

Some babies and young children need extra help to learn and grow.  As parents watch their child grow and develop they may notice when their child smiles, rolls over, sits up, walks, plays, coos, cries and talks.  While all young children grow and change at their own rate, some children experience delays in their development. 

Special health conditions may affect children’s development, too.  Because parents know their child best, they may be the first to notice that their child is developing differently than other babies or young children.

Free help is available.  Minnesota children from birth to five-years-old, who are eligible for Help Me Grow, can receive services in their home, child care setting or school.  These services are free to eligible families regardless of income or immigrant status. Click here for additional information.

Assistance from experts.  Early childhood specialists will work with eligible children and families to plan the services and supports they need.  These may include:

  • Special instruction and other services, including speech, physical and occupational therapy.
  • Ways that a family can support their child’s development in everyday activities.
  • Connections to community services and programs.

Contact the district early childhood specialists

Early childhood specialists can help find community resources and early childhood programs for those children not eligible for Help Me Grow.

Visit Help Me Grow for more information on how young children develop and ideas to help your child learn and grow.

Call your local health care provider or 1-866-693-GROW (4769) if you have questions about your child’s development or if you think your child might need extra help to learn.

Parents, don’t wait–get answers to your questions now!  If you have concerns about your child’s development, please contact your local health care provider or the local Help Me Grow program at:  Nobles County HELP ME GROW (507)727-1257